[ros-users] ROS on NXT

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Thu Dec 23 03:41:44 UTC 2010

Hi Jeroen,

it definitely would be a much better solution to have ROS running natively
on the brick.  I don't know if it has a full enough featured build
environment to run there.  However there is a project for cross compiling
ROS onto embedded platforms hopefully some of their tools would be helpful
if you wanted to try.  See http://www.ros.org/wiki/eros

Tully

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 2:44 AM, Jeroen Willems <jjpa.willems at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there are any plans (cross-compiler?) such that ROS can
> run on the NXT bricks ?
>
> Currently RCX bricks are used for a course Embedded Motion Control using
> brickOS.
> We would like to switch to the NXT bricks. Furthermore we want to set up
> the course such that students can get familiar with ROS.
>
> It would be great if the software can run on the brick itself so that we do
> not need an USB-cable. Bluetooth is not an option because of the high
> latency.
>
> Thanks Jeroen

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer