[ros-users] Computer Recommendations

Björn Giesler bjoern at giesler.de
Fri Dec 31 15:21:35 UTC 2010

Hi,

I bought the PC for my robot a couple of months ago. I looked at the fit-pc2, which looked interesting, but ultimately I settled on this box:

http://www.zotac.com/pdbrochures/ZBOX/ZBOX-HD-ID11_v1.pdf

Main reason was that in addition to the Atom 550, it has an NVIDIA Ion graphics chip, which is supported by CUDA and offers a bit of extra performance for image processing. E.g. there are ports of SIFT/SURF feature detectors, Haar cascades and optical flow algorithms for CUDA. You can't use any of them directly on the Ion because they are mostly written for NVIDIA's big iron, but they should be easily portable. Not that I've tried yet.

Zotac even has barebone motherboards with the Atom 550 / ION combination that take 12V from a power supply. I think this is currently one of the cheapest and most powerful solutions in this segment.

Regards,
Björn