[ros-users] Mesa SwissRanger SR4000 and swissranger_camera

Gonçalo Cabrita goncabrita at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 14:18:11 UTC 2010

Hi everyone!

I just downloaded swissranger_camera to try our SR4000 with ROS.

I previously installed libmesasr as required. However when I try to run
swissranger_camera the node wont even connect to the camera:

"blazz at blazz-ros:~$ rosrun swissranger_camera swissranger_camera
[ INFO] 1279202609.495838000: frame ID of camera is swissranger
[ INFO] 1279202609.502265000: [swissranger] , frame ID: /swissranger
[ INFO] 1279202609.503678000: [swissranger] , camera info URL:
usb_set_debug: Setting debugging level to 255 (on)
usb_os_find_busses: Found 005
usb_os_find_busses: Found 004
usb_os_find_busses: Found 003
usb_os_find_busses: Found 002
usb_os_find_busses: Found 001
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 003 on 005
skipped 1 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 005
error obtaining child information: Operation not permitted
error obtaining child information: Operation not permitted
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 002 on 004
skipped 1 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 004
error obtaining child information: Operation not permitted
error obtaining child information: Operation not permitted
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 003
error obtaining child information: Operation not permitted
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 002 on 002
skipped 1 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
skipped 1 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
skipped 1 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 002
error obtaining child information: Operation not permitted
error obtaining child information: Operation not permitted
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 011 on 001
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 003 on 001
skipping descriptor 0x24
skipped 1 class/vendor specific endpoint descriptors
skipped 4 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
skipping descriptor 0x25
skipped 1 class/vendor specific endpoint descriptors
skipped 5 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 001
error obtaining child information: Operation not permitted
error obtaining child information: Operation not permitted
error obtaining child information: Operation not permitted
USB error: could not set config 1: Operation not permitted
usb_set_debug: Setting debugging level to 0 (off)
[ERROR] 1279202609.670480000: Exception thrown while connecting to the
camera:
[SR::open]: Failed to open device!"

I noticed that swissranger_camera works for libmesasr API >=1.0, and at the
mesa website I found the following statement:

"The API interface has changed from driver version 1.0.8.xxx to 1.0.10.xxx
Existing applications based on the 1.0.8.xxx driver must be adapted to the
new interface."

Could it be that the version currently available at the mesa website no
longer works with swissranger_camera? Or am I just missing something out?

Thanks for the help,

Gonçalo Cabrita
ISR - University of Coimbra
Portugal