[ros-users] north pacific gyre robotic sampler

Andrew Harris andrew.unit at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 04:29:43 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,

   I am using ROS to build a robotic ocean sampler that can sample sea
water and use computer vision to count and characterize plastic
debris.  Plastic is collecting in our oceans at an alarming rate and
this robotic sampler is designed to float in the North Pacific Gyre
for several months, taking samples periodically.  It is still in an
early stage, but here is a link to the video of playing back a bag
file that has telemetry and imagery inside:

http://www.vimeo.com/13424611

For context, the images are of backlit transparent tubing that is
about 1cm in diameter.  You'll see plastic particles go by
occasionally.  On a related note, if anyone has a hint on how to
calibrate a camera that has a field of view of about 1cm x 1cm at a
distance of 25cm, I'd appreciate any hints :)  I have been thinking
about making a teeny tiny checkerboard, but I'm not really sure of the
best way to do that yet.  Also, I am using the camera1394 node with a
Point Grey Chameleon and it is working nicely.

regards,
-andrew