[ros-users] Illegal instruction when initializing a transform listener

Christopher Crick chriscrick at cs.brown.edu
Mon Jul 19 20:59:22 UTC 2010

Hello.

I have a very esoteric and difficult-to-debug problem with the tf
stack.  To isolate what's going on, I put together the simplest possible
package that generates the error.  Here's the executable for a
tf_error_test package, which depends on roscpp, rospy and tf.  On _some_
machines in our lab, the following code causes an error:

import roslib; roslib.load_manifest('tf_error_test')
import rospy
import tf

rospy.init_node('tf_error_test')
listener = tf.TransformListener()

while True:
    pass

'rosrun tf_error_test tf_error_test.py' will yield
'/opt/ros/boxturtle/ros/bin/rosrun: line 35: 10288 Illegal
instruction     $exepath "$@"'

This happens on several machines, but not all of them.  On one system,
the problem went away when Ubuntu and ROS were both entirely
reinstalled, but for obvious reasons I'd prefer knowing what's going
wrong to blindly nuking computers.  Does anybody have any suggestions,
or has anyone encountered this problem before?  I'm using a stock
boxturtle install of ROS on an Ubuntu 9.10 operating system.

Thanks.

Chris