[ros-users] .bashrc problem

Sam Quintanar robosq at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 22 04:28:26 UTC 2010

Everything concerning ROS installation ran great on day 1.
On day two, I logged into Ubuntu 10.04 and then opened a terminal with command "gnome-terminal" only to watch the terminal hang and it worked fine before I added the  following as per ROS instructions:

echo "source /home/sam/ros/setup.sh" >> ~/.bashrc
 . ~/.bashrc

echo "source /home/sam/ros-tutorials/setup.sh" >> ~/.bashrc
 . ~/.bashrc.

I opened the bashrc file in my home dir and found that it generated an infinite number of
"source /home/sam/ros-tutorials/setup.sh" strings in the file appearing after my last entry above.

I removed the 4 lines I added above and the terminal opened fine, but now I must manually type into the terminal prompt:
source /home/sam/ros/setup.sh
source /home/sam/ros-tutorials/setup.sh

and all is well, but it would be nice to have the .bashrc automatically do this instead of my manually doing it repeatedly.

I'm not well versed with bash or terminal usage yet (new to Linux), so maybe I've don't something wrong.

Please advise.

SamQ