[ros-users] Getting the ROS Navigation stack up and running ....

Joseph Fernando JosephFernando at comcast.net
Mon Jul 26 23:04:38 UTC 2010

Folks,

            I'm trying to get the Navigation Stack working for a homegrown
robotic platform and have setup the stack as described in the robot setup
<http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation/Tutorials/RobotSetup>  tutorial.

To test the stack/setup I am using the Sending
<http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation/Tutorials/SendingSimpleGoals>  Simple
Navigation Goals tutorial.   Navigation stack, as well as the
simple_navigation_goals node are launched as described in these tutorials.

Now here's the issue:  though, /move_base node is created, it seems that the
action server is not created, and hence  simple_navigation_goals spins on.

        //wait for the action server to come up

  14   while(!ac.waitForServer(ros::Duration(5.0))){

  15     ROS_INFO("Waiting for the move_base action server to come up");

  16   }

In addition to launching the move_base node, is there anything else that
needs to be done to create the action server..

Thanks

Joseph

[1]        http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation/Tutorials/RobotSetup

[2]        http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation/Tutorials/SendingSimpleGoals