[ros-users] tabletop_objects package deprecated ?

Radu Bogdan Rusu rusu at willowgarage.com
Thu Jul 1 15:48:49 UTC 2010

Rene,

If you're searching for blob clustering of points that are supported by planar structures, then you can try PCL. There's
a few launch files under pcl/launch/demos that you can check, or the tutorials under pcl/src/examples.

The tabletop_objects is being refactored right now, so if you can't svn co the older source tree, then you need to wait
until my colleagues have it ready. The package is a wrapper around PCL's segmentation and clustering mechanisms, with a
final model registration check against the clustered blobs. This is not object identification per se, but for a small
set of objects it might give you good hints as to what's present in the scene. PCL has a few registration methods that
could be used to improve this part, and I need to get around to write a few more tutorials on that. If you need this
faster, perhaps you could help out too :)

If you're interested in object detection/recognition, then there's several other algorithms and packages that we are
working on, both on camera and 3D data, but none of them is ready for mass consumption yet. Soon though :)

Cheers,
Radu.