[ros-users] Tilting Hokuyo

Vijay Pradeep vpradeep at willowgarage.com
Fri Jul 2 18:28:55 UTC 2010

Hi Sanja,

I haven't used hrl_tilting_hokuyo<http://www.ros.org/wiki/hrl_tilting_hokuyo>,
so maybe some Georgia Tech folks can chime in about that.

I would suggest using the
laser_assembler<http://www.ros.org/wiki/laser_assembler>package.  This
will expose a service call that provides point clouds, given
a time interval on which you want to assemble laser scans.

Are you adding this to an existing robot running ROS, or are you starting
from scratch?  If starting from scratch, there are a couple steps you'll
need to take.  First, to interface with the Hokuyo hardware and publish
laser scans, you can use hokuyo_node <http://www.ros.org/wiki/hokuyo_node>.
The laser_assembler also needs TF data for the frame of the laser.  The
suggested way to do this is by writing a URDF
<http://www.ros.org/wiki/urdf>description of your robot, and then use
the
robot_state_publisher <http://www.ros.org/wiki/robot_state_publisher> to
publish the transforms.

You'll also need to write a hardware specific node to control the servo
system.  This control node should publish
sensor_msgs/JointState<http://www.ros.org/wiki/sensor_msgs>,
since this is required by the robot_state_publisher to generate the
transforms.  Since the controller would also know the current angle of the
tilting platform, it can decide when each tilting cycle is complete and then
make the appropriate service call to the laser_assembler to get a point
cloud.

Hopefully this makes sense.  Let me know if you run into trouble.

Vijay