[ros-users] roscore respawn problem

Josh Faust jfaust at willowgarage.com
Fri Jul 2 18:33:10 UTC 2010

> The scenario is that node1 sends a ReadyMessage to node2 telling it
> that it is ready for the next image/depth pair. node2 sends an image
> and depth map to node3 (depth_to_cloud) to constuct a PointCloud from
> the depth map to pass back along to node1. The problem seems to be
> that the chain of messages gets broken at depth_to_cloud. Below is a
> sample of the debug output I'm seeing from depth_to_cloud. This output
> continues indefinitely until I kill the depth_to_cloud process. Am I
> right to believe that this output explains the behavior I am seeing?
> If so, what can I do about it?

Is node2 still up at this point?  The only reason the depth_to_cloud node
should be retrying those connections is if it died at some point, or if its
connection got killed in some other way.

You mentioned you're running against latest -- there have been some bugs
fixed with the retry logic recently that only went out to cturtle.  You may
want to try switching over.

> Also, I think this output may be responsible for the respawning of
> rosout. rosout uses quite a lot of memory during these connection
> failure messages. Could it perhaps be trying to store all of these in
> memory in addition to in the log files and eventually running out of
> memory?

Those roscpp_internal log messages don't get sent to rosout unless you've
enabled DEBUG output in general -- is the rest of your system sending a lot
of messages to rosout?

Josh