[ros-users] Tilting Hokuyo

Sanja Popovic sanja at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 6 14:29:44 UTC 2010

Hi Advait,

I'm pretty new to ROS, so can you please give me a bit more guidance for editing the hrl_hokuyo to work with URGs?

As far as the servo is concerned, I'm still thinking between rewriting the package or buying the new servo. I'm slightly closer to the second one because the current servo is not really satisfying.

Thanks a lot,
Sanja
From: ros-users-bounces at code.ros.org [ros-users-bounces at code.ros.org] On Behalf Of Advait Jain [advait at cc.gatech.edu]
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 4:11 PM
To: ros-users at code.ros.org
Subject: Re: [ros-users] Tilting Hokuyo

Hi Sanja,

The hrl_tilting_hokuyo package combines the robotis and hrl_hokuyo
packages to make a tilting hokuyo.

Our specific hardware setup is described here:
http://www.hsi.gatech.edu/hrl-wiki/index.php/Tilting_Hokuyo

hrl_hokuyo is simply a python node that listens to the LaserScan message
from hokuyo_node. It currently does not support a URG but that shouldn't
be hard.

The servo would be the harder part. If you can write a ROS node for your
servo that presents the same interface as the robotis package then you
should be able to use hrl_tilting_hokuyo.

Advait