[ros-users] rospy.sleep() blocking callbacks

Geoffrey Biggs geoffrey.biggs at aist.go.jp
Wed Jul 7 06:02:39 UTC 2010

It's called the Global Interpreter Lock and it's what prevents Python
executed using the standard interpreter from being truly concurrent
(although it also massively simplified efficient interpreter
implementation).

http://docs.python.org/glossary.html#term-global-interpreter-lock

http://docs.python.org/c-api/init.html#thread-state-and-the-global-interpreter-lock

However, a call to rospy.sleep() should be releasing this lock, and so
shouldn't be locking up the entire interpreter. It depends on how that
sleep call is implemented.

To check if the GIL is the problem, try starting another thread and see
if it keeps executing during the rospy.sleep() call you're having
problems with.

Geoff