[ros-users] ros node protocol

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Wed Jul 7 15:15:42 UTC 2010

connected is a boolean, but getBusStats is underdeveloped and unused
right now, so I wouldn't worry about it (or use it). The API was meant
for a tool that hasn't had high enough priority yet.

For requestTopic, the assumption is that the subscriber would send a
machine ID along with the request for shared memory. The subscriber
sends a list of lists, where each list is a transport name plus any
additional parameters necessary for validating that transport, like IP
address.

The general protocol is the subscriber sends an ordered list of
protocols, and the publisher selects a valid one. The subscriber
should still send other fallback protocols in the shared memory
protocol is not achievable.

hope this helps,
 - Ken