[ros-users] getting apache2 to work

Adam Stambler adasta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 16:59:48 UTC 2010

Hi Max,

I just reread your error message.  It looks like mod_python cannot find the
handler 'startmod'.  It was probably not added to your python path
correctly.  Double check your /etc/ros/ros_webui_appache.cfg file.  It
should look something like this:

  <Location "/webui/">
    PythonDebug On
    PythonAutoReload On

    #SetEnv PYTHON_RELOADER On
    SetEnv ROS_ROOT /home/sta1pal/ros/ros
    SetEnv ROS_PACKAGE_PATH /home/sta1pal/workspace:/home/sta1pal/ros/stacks
    SetEnv ROS_MASTER_URI http://localhost:11311/
    SetEnv ROS_BOOST_ROOT /opt/ros

    PythonPath "['/home/sta1pal/ros/ros/core/roslib/src',
'/home/sta1pal/ros/stacks/web_interface/webui/src/webui/'] + sys.path"

    SetHandler python-program
    PythonHandler startmod
  </Location>

where your ROS variables are filled in and your python path points to roslib
and webui.

As for using the WebUI, it is a very large program and I wouldn't try
editing it directly.  Willow Garage has set up "Apps" that you can make for
the WebUI.  How these apps work is undocumented right now,  I found out how
to use them by talking to them at the PR2 workshop.  Later today I will try
and write some getting started info.  As long as you keep to just modifying
and creating Apps, the learning curve for using  WebUI isn't too bad.  You
don't really need to know much about Clearsilver. It is just a templating
library that they use to mash up their javascript and html easily from
python.  Just reading through ClearSilver their tutorial so that you
recognize clearsilver's syntax should be fine.

Good luck,
Adam