[ros-users] Navigation Stack performance

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Wed Jul 7 18:08:06 UTC 2010

Goncalo,

There are a few basic things that you can do to help with performance:

1) You can increase the resolution of the costmaps. Since a Roomba is so
small, even 10cm resolution should probably be sufficient for navigation.
See the resolution parameter of the costmap:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/costmap_2d#Map_management_parameters

2) You can decrease the update rate of the costmaps from 5Hz to something
lower depending on your tolerance for seeing an obstacle. At 5Hz, it'll take
about 1/5th of a second to react to an obstacle, at 3Hz 1/3rd of a second,
etc. See the update_frequency parameter for the costmap:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/costmap_2d#Rate_parameters.

3) You can control the Roomba at a lower rate... maybe something like 10Hz
instead of 20Hz. For that you can set the controller_frequency parameter on
move_base: http://www.ros.org/wiki/move_base#Parameters.

Hope this helps,

Eitan