[ros-users] Which package is used for checking collision?

Gil Jones gjones at willowgarage.com
Thu Jul 8 17:41:55 UTC 2010

Our collision checking is done in the collision_space package in the
collision_environment stack.  We primarily use ODE for collision checking
(src/environmentODE.cpp), though there is also a somewhat out of date
version of collision checking using Bullet included in the same directory.
For information on what ODE does you can look at
http://opende.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Manual_%28Collision_Detection%29
.

For collision checking with the PR2 we insert a set of meshes for the
robot's body as well as meshes or geometric primitives associated with
recognized objects into the collision space.  We also include a set of
self-filtered oriented bounding boxes associated with range sensor hits into
the collision space.  If you have any specific questions about our use of
ODE I'm happy to try to answer them.

--Gil

--
E. Gil Jones (gjones at willowgarage.com)