[ros-users] Using hrl_tilting_hokuyo to get BAG or PCD files

Advait Jain advait at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 9 02:41:07 UTC 2010

Hi Sanja,

The last time I did this was a some months ago and I have since moved
it into a folder called old. However, it might work because I don't
think the PointCloud message has changed.

Here's where you can find the code:
1. display_3d_mayavi.py - Uses mayavi2 to display point clouds. This
also converts the pkl to a numpy matrix.
http://www.ros.org/wiki/hrl_tilting_hokuyo

2. look at the point_cloud_ros package in gt-ros-pkg
The file point_cloud_ros/src/point_cloud_ros/old/point_cloud_utils.py
has helper functions to go from a 3xN numpy matrix to a PointCloud
object which you can then publish.

point_cloud_ros/data has a pkl file that has a 3xN numpy matrix of a
3D scan from a tiltling hokuyo in our lab. You can use this to play
with the code until you have your own tilting hokuyo set up.

display_3d_mayavi.py might be the best point to start looking at the code.

I don't have anything to go to a .pcd directly from python. Your best
bet might be to publish a PointCloud from python and then use pcl to
subscribe to it and save it as a .pcd

Advait