[ros-users] New repository dfki-sks-ros-pkg (was: Leuze ROD-4 laser rangefinder driver released (dfki_sscs_laser_drivers stack 0.1.0))

René Wagner rene.wagner at dfki.de
Tue Jul 13 21:05:28 UTC 2010

Hi all,

the rod4_node driver is now available as part of the (renamed)
dfki_sks_laser_drivers stack from the newly created dfki-sks-ros-pkg
SVN repository:

https://svn-agbkb.informatik.uni-bremen.de/dfki-sks-ros-pkg/trunk

I've already added a corresponding entry to the Repositories wiki page.
Further documentation will be added to the wiki once the repository has
been picked up by the indexers.

Ken, could you (or someone else at Willow Garage) perhaps trigger that
process? Thanks in advance!

As usual, feedback/suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Rene

The original announcement of the rod4_node driver:

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 18:36 +0200, René Wagner wrote:
> I've ported a driver for the Leuze rotoScan ROD-4 family [1] of laser
> rangefinders originally developed as part of my thesis [2] from my own
> IPC library over to ROS.
[...]
> The rod4_node driver currently supports ROD-4 models connected via
> Ethernet only, but could be extended to interface with RS422 models. The
> underlying network protocol implementation has been stable for more than
> a year now. All testing has been done with a "ROD4 plus" unit. The
> ROS-specific code was developed against ROS "latest".
>
> Documentation is a bit scarce at the moment. rod4_node takes only two
> ROS parameters, one for the hostname/IP address of the laser range
> finder ("host") and one for the frame ID ("frame_id"). Configuration of
> the laser rangefinder is only possible through a separate (physical)
> configuration port with a vendor-provided tool and cannot be changed at
> runtime.
>
> Otherwise, rod4_node should behave like any other ROS laser rangefinder
> driver, i.e., publish a sensor_msgs::LaserScan on the "scan" topic
> whenever a new scan comes in.

[...]
> [1] http://www.leuze.de/products/los/mess/rod4/rod4_en.html
> [2] http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/agebv/en/ReneWagnerDiplomarbeit

Dipl.-Inf. René Wagner                     Junior Researcher
DFKI Bremen                           Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
Safe and Secure Cognitive Systems             D-28359 Bremen

Phone: (+49) 421-218-64224       Fax: (+49) 421-218-98-64224
Web: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/agebv/en/ReneWagner
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz  GmbH
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschäftsführung:
                                          Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
                                Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern                          HRB 2313