[ros-users] object grasping pipeline and tutorials

Matei Ciocarlie matei at willowgarage.com
Wed Jul 14 16:28:46 UTC 2010

In order to use the database of models, and thus attempt object
recognition and execution of precomputed grasps, you need access to a
database server. Our server at Willow is currently behind the
firewall, which is why you can not connect to it. We are hoping to fix
this next week, along with 0.2 release.

For now, there are two options:
1)  you can install the database on one of your local machines (or
even on the robot itself). You can find instructions for installing a
PostgreSQL server on a ubuntu machine here:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/icra_manipulation_demo/Tutorials/Install%20the%20model%20database%20server%20on%20a%20new%20robot

after you are done with the installation of the server, let me know
and I will provide the database backup file.

2) do not perform object recognition and grasp objects as unknown
point clusters. I need to put in a flag somewhere in the detection
code so that if the database is not present, it will just default to
this other option instead of crashing. I will do that later today.

Matei

Matei Ciocarlie
Research Scientist
Willow Garage Inc.