[ros-users] Robot model meshes in RViz

John Hsu johnhsu at willowgarage.com
Wed Jul 14 16:33:33 UTC 2010

Hi Armin,
for your second question, I've answered inline:

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:49 AM, Armin Hornung <
HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a few meshes which I converted from VRML to STL to be rendered as
> robot body parts (specified in the robot's URDF). Is it possible to make
> the RViz rendering more "smooth"? A different Ogre-based rendering tool
> displays the curvatures very smooth, while RViz seems to display each
> triangle as a flat surface (no interpolation of the surface normals). If
> I look at the meshes in Meshlab, the RViz view corresponds to "flat",
> while what I want to achieve corresponds to "smooth". Maybe there is a
> setting that I need to activate in the Mesh file or the URDF?
>
> Secondly, is it possible to have multiple mesh parts / files per robot
> link? It seems like additional "visual" or "mesh" tags after the first
> one are ignored. Or do I have to create virtual (fixed) robot links for
> them?

URDF allows only one mesh per link.  On the other hand, Gazebo's model XML
does allow multiple geometries per body, but does not work with most ROS
components.

> Alternatively, is it possible to have one multi-colored mesh? What
> I would like to achieve is to have a robot link that has
> differently-colored parts.

You can texture map the mesh.  For example, PR2 Gazebo model in cturtle uses
textured COLLADA meshes for visualization.  You can take a look at the
pr2_description<https://code.ros.org/svn/wg-ros-pkg/stacks/pr2_common/tags/cturtle/pr2_description>package
for reference.

John