[ros-users] Basic navigation for pioneer robot using p2os

Enea Scioni enea.scioni at student.unife.it
Fri Jul 16 14:13:55 UTC 2010

Hi Vinay,
I tried and tested the new p2os stack (p2os-0.1.0) avaiable now, and It
works fine for me.
As I wrote you before, if you are interested to get sensor's data, you just
need to subscribe at the topic called "sonar" and set the param "use_sonar"
true (false as default).
In order to do that, just write a .launch file where you will set this
parameter, like:
  <node name="p2os_driver" pkg="p2os_driver" type="p2os" respawn="false"
output="screen" >

  </node>

Also there are other parameters (if you need them).
The sonar data are avaiable as sonarArrray.msg defined in p2os_driver
package. In the past I wrote by myself a message similar to that one to get
sonar's data.
The odometry is avaiable into tf stream (the driver publish transform from
"odom" to "base_link"), it's your task add more frames for your sensors or
other devices (if you have it).

To setup everything, I spent a couple of hours, so I think that you couldn't
find strange problems!

Looking in p2os_launch package to have nice example of .launch file to setup
your robot.
Now I installed also these drivers, so If you have a specific problem let's
me know that I'll try to figure out.

Greetings,
Enea