[ros-users] C++ versus Python in ROS

Cedric Pradalier cedric.pradalier at mavt.ethz.ch
Mon Jul 19 07:01:51 UTC 2010

Hello Sam,

My personal split between python and C++ is the following:

I use Python for code where I want to favor code simplicity and
reliability (less line of code, more use of existing code block, easier
text parsing). I find Python faster to write and easier to debug. I've
written simple web server, or driver for serial port sensors in 10th of
lines.

I use C++ when I need speed optimisation, I'm working with big objects
(image, point clouds) and when I use multiple threads.

In summary, most of my glue and simple programs are in python, but the
core number crunching code is in c++.

Again, this my personal use. I'm not sure you can make a rule of it.

Best,

On 07/19/10 08:31, Sam Quintanar wrote:
> I know C++, but Python is new to me. It seems like it would be fun to
> learn Python.
> Please talk me in or out of using Python!
>
> 1- What justifies using Python in ROS?
>
> 2- Are the majority of tutorials in Python or C++?
>
> 3- I notice that if one wants to use an IDE, Eclipse and Code:Blocks
> are suggested in the ROS wiki along with how to create an ROS package
> in Code:Blocks......but I see nothing like this for Python......what
> is a suggested IDE for Python?
>
> 4- Looking towards future robot-building tools integration, does
> Python support possibilities of using
> ROS+Orocos+OpenCV+Gazebo......C++ can be used with Orocos, but can Python?
>
> 5- I know C++ can be used for real-time action due to its speed, but
> can Python?
>
> Thanks.
>
> SamQ

Dr. Cedric Pradalier