[ros-users] Multi-robot communication

Gonçalo Cabrita goncabrita at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 09:36:51 UTC 2010

First of all, big thanks to everyone that contributed with ideas and
suggestions.

We finally finished our multi-robot communication ROS node which we now call
wifi_comm.

As Blaise suggested we used foreign_relay to open a communication channel
between robots.

We also took a look at the code Aggeliki from Brown pointed us at from which
we took allot of ideas. We ended up integrating not BATMAN but olsrd since
we had previous experience with it.

Finally we listened to Brian and we managed to stay away from opaque
messages :) We open a foreign_relay for each topic we want to share. We
started to right a wifi_comm_node with an opaque msg but we never finished,
although we chose to leave the code there.

So to sum things up we start olsrd, we then star the wifi_discovery_node
which broadcasts a list of available ips, and then we did a library which we
use to open the foreign_relays and exchange data. Along with the code we
included an Hello World example. We hope the code is modular and flexible
enough so that when roscore-multi-master becomes available we
can easily change our node accordingly.

You can find the node at the following link:

http://code.google.com/p/isr-uc-ros-pkg/downloads/list

We've just started our google code webpage so it's still quite empty at the
time :)

Thanks,

Gonçalo Cabrita
ISR - University of Coimbra