[ros-users] C++ versus Python in ROS

Arkapravo Bhaumik arkapravobhaumik at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 11:47:01 UTC 2010

Hi Sam

In general, I have found Python lot more easier and  user friendly than C++
further Python is very readable, is a scripted language - needs no
compilation, easier to debug as it has an interactive interface, it allows
for room for easy bindings from other languages ( Jython, PyOpenGL, PyQt
etc) and it conforms to all sorts of Open-Source development (well ! .....
very nearly :) ) .

However, C++/Java seems to be lot more useful in robot/ embedded
development/ robot-simulation.

Answering your questions.

1 - I guess every new age Robotics has a Python component (i.e. Player
Stage, Pyro etc)

2 - Majority of tutorials would probably in C++. C++ and Java are the HOT
languages for Robot Developers, further the Boost Library in C++ helps in
advanced development.

3 - IDE, well that is debatable ! .... one may not really need an IDE in
python as it is a scripted language ( and thus everything already happens
'on the fly' ) why complicate it with an IDE ! ...

4 - Don't know about this one ! ...sorry

5 - Python has threads, and it can be used for real-time structuring

By the way ! ..... I am no Guru, don't get back at me if some Python/ROS
guru has any different opinions !

Regards

Arkapravo