[ros-users] object grasping pipeline and tutorials

René Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:45:29 UTC 2010

I'm running database_interface, household_objects_database, and
tabletop_object_detector
from trunk now, the rest of the installation is c-turtle.

Two questions:
* what is the topic name of the pointcloud2 message?
* what is the SQL scheme of the object database?

Rene

2010/7/15 Matei Ciocarlie <matei at willowgarage.com>:
> Added some fixes to trunk. Thanks for the feedback, it is really
> useful as we prepare the (hopefully) stable 0.2 release.
>
> Adam: there is now a parameter in pr2_tabletop_manipulation.launch:
> when starting the tabletop_object_detector node, set use_database to
> false and nobody should ever complain about a missing database
> connection.
>
> Hao: the problem you were having was actually a fairly deep bug,
> should be resolved now..
>
> Matei
>
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Matei Ciocarlie <matei at willowgarage.com> wrote:
>> In order to use the database of models, and thus attempt object
>> recognition and execution of precomputed grasps, you need access to a
>> database server. Our server at Willow is currently behind the
>> firewall, which is why you can not connect to it. We are hoping to fix
>> this next week, along with 0.2 release.
>>
>> For now, there are two options:
>> 1)  you can install the database on one of your local machines (or
>> even on the robot itself). You can find instructions for installing a
>> PostgreSQL server on a ubuntu machine here:
>>
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/icra_manipulation_demo/Tutorials/Install%20the%20model%20database%20server%20on%20a%20new%20robot
>>
>> after you are done with the installation of the server, let me know
>> and I will provide the database backup file.
>>
>> 2) do not perform object recognition and grasp objects as unknown
>> point clusters. I need to put in a flag somewhere in the detection
>> code so that if the database is not present, it will just default to
>> this other option instead of crashing. I will do that later today.
>>
>> Matei
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Adam Leeper <aleeper at stanford.edu> wrote:
>>> I tried this and got these errors. Am I missing some files you have there
>>> locally?
>>> process[tabletop_node-35]: started with pid [8301]