[ros-users] sicktoolbox_wrapper error -- using the LMS200

Blaise Gassend blaise at willowgarage.com
Tue Jul 20 16:28:38 UTC 2010

Hi Rishi,

Are you sure of the cable you are using? If I recall, we had to do some
hackery to switch the RX and TX lines on the serial lines before we
could get our sick working.

Here is the approach I would take to check your cable:

Take a multimeter, and measure the following voltages:
On the Sick side, pin 5 to pin 2
On the Sick side, pin 5 to pin 3
On the computer side, pin 5 to pin 2
On the computer side, pin 5 to pin 3

I would expect you to see something close to +-12V on the line that is
transmitting, and something close to zero on the line that is not
transmitting (put a 1k in parallel with your multimeter if you want to
get closer to zero).

If the cable is good then the transmit line on the Sick side should
correspond to the receive line on the computer side, and vice versa.

Cheers,
Blaise