[ros-users] sonar data for navigation stack

Tucker Hermans thermans at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 22 12:45:43 UTC 2010

Hi Nitin,

The current implementation returns the ranges to each sonar element in the
sonar array.  The sonar's are ordered in the same manner as in the robot
documentation (thus for p3dx it's 0 on the front left 1-6 on the front and 7
on the front right).  When I setup the sonar message it was rather feature
poor since all I was trying to do was have the robot not run into things.
Going forward I think you would need to setup some frame for the sonar
elements using TF.  The current SonarArray msg doesn't really work for this,
since it only has one header and for your applications you will probably
need a separate frame for each of the sonar elements in the array. The
current pioneer urdf in p2os_urdf package has a sonar link, but it is not
aware of the internal geometry of the separate sonar elements.

Feel free to contact me directly if you need help in working with the sonar
code in the p2os_driver.

-Tucker