[ros-users] Orchestration

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Sun Jul 25 05:39:49 UTC 2010

Hi Sam,

"Orchestrator" is a nebulous term -- do you mean scripting support, or
something higher-level, like an executive?

Urbi comes with Urbiscript. Scripting languages tend to be good for
quickly writing code to get robots to do things at a high level.
Urbi's scripting language has nice features like parallelism and
event-triggers that make it easy to write these sorts of programs.

ROS comes with a Python client library (rospy). Python is a good
scripting language, especially for systems work, and is frequently
used to control high-level behavior on the PR2. We are also working on
a higher-level Python client library (rosh), and people are working on
using Javascript with ROS.

We also use the "smach" library, which is a library we are developing
for designing state-machines to manage various tasks on the PR2. We've
used this smach library for our hackathons, such as getting beer out
of a fridge, getting the PR2 to plug itself in, and more. Smach is
just one of many executives out there. They all have different
properties and features, depending on what you're trying to do. Smach
happens to be really good if you use the ROS actionlib and are good
with Python.

Hope this helps,
Ken