[ros-users] overlay of a ros core package

Bhaskara Marthi bhaskara at willowgarage.com
Sun Jul 25 15:06:40 UTC 2010

In general, I don't believe rospack supports this usage.  For the particular
case of rosemacs, since the path is only used to load it within emacs, you
would just need to change your .emacs file, e.g.,

(add-to-list 'load-path "path/to/my/rosemacs")
(require 'rosemacs)

It might also be convenient to make that directory's basename something
else, like rosemacs-trunk, so things like roscd will work with it.
- Bhaskara

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Nikolaus Demmel <demmeln at in.tum.de> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> is it possible to have a local checkout of a package from the "ros" core
> stack "shadowing" the package in the ROS_ROOT directory?
>
> To be concrete I have a local checkout of rosemacs. I want to use this
> local checkout instead of the version that comes with my cturtle prebuilt
> binaries install (ubuntu lucid). The local checkout of rosemacs is in my
> ROS_PACKAGE_PATH, but still the version in
> /opt/ros/cturtle/ros/tools/rosemacs is used. I assume this is because
> rospack looks in the ROS_ROOT before looking in the ROS_PACKAGE_PATH when
> searching for packages.
>
> Is there a way arround this? I could of course install the whole ros core
> stack from source but I'd rather just have rosemacs, if its possible.
>
> Best regards,
> Niko

Bhaskara Marthi
Research Scientist