[ros-users] rospy and python 3.0

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Mon Jul 26 15:14:55 UTC 2010

Python 3.0 hasn't been a priority -- there are far more libraries that
don't support it yet, than do, and the non-backwards-compatibility of
Python 3.0 is a huge deterrent.

I tried as much as possible to be careful when writing rospy to
support as little of a leap as possible to Python 3.0, but this
carefulness has not been tested. I would happily accept compatibility
patches, but I don't know yet if it is possible to support Py2/3 out
of a single codebase, as scipy has done, or if it will require
forking, as some other libraries have done.

I'm planning on re-writing the inner i/o core of rospy, which may make
external porting efforts more difficult to maintain. I probably won't
do that re-write until e-turtle.

  - Ken