[ros-users] slam_gmapping crashing

Gonçalo Cabrita goncabrita at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 16:59:39 UTC 2010

Thanks for your quick reply Brian.

slam_gmapping is crashing randomly, it can crash a few seconds or a few
minutes after it started. Also I've noticed that slam_gmapping crashing is
causing the internet connection to crash as well.

I did what you suggested and this is what I got:

I did a launch file as instructed:

<launch>
  <master auto="start"/>
  <node pkg="gmapping" type="slam_gmapping" respawn="false"
name="slam_gmapping" output="screen" launch-prefix="xterm -e gdb --args">
  </node>
</launch>

I open a roscore, set use_sim_time to true and then I launch slam_gmapping:

$ roslaunch slam_gmapping.launch

I get the gdb xterm window...

(gdb) set logging on
(gdb) run

Now I start my rosbag play....

The output in the gdb.txt file is:

Starting program:
/home/blazz/ros/stacks/slam_gmapping/gmapping/bin/slam_gmapping > gdb_output
[New Thread 0xb7fdcb70 (LWP 2249)]
[New Thread 0xb77dbb70 (LWP 2250)]
[New Thread 0xb6fdab70 (LWP 2251)]
[New Thread 0xb65ffb70 (LWP 2258)]
[New Thread 0xb5dfeb70 (LWP 2261)]
[New Thread 0xb55fdb70 (LWP 2304)]
[New Thread 0xb4dfcb70 (LWP 2305)]
[Thread 0xb4dfcb70 (LWP 2305) exited]
[Thread 0xb55fdb70 (LWP 2304) exited]
[Thread 0xb5dfeb70 (LWP 2261) exited]
[Thread 0xb65ffb70 (LWP 2258) exited]
[Thread 0xb6fdab70 (LWP 2251) exited]
[Thread 0xb77dbb70 (LWP 2250) exited]
[Thread 0xb7fdcb70 (LWP 2249) exited]

Program terminated with signal SIGKILL, Killed.
The program no longer exists.

The output doesn't give too much info... Does it help?

Gonçalo Cabrita
ISR - University of Coimbra
Portugal