[ros-users] Gazebo build fails at linking phase - cturtle on Lucid system w/ standalone gazebo install

Kim Houck kim_houck at Yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 18:56:54 UTC 2010

I have been having problems compiling gazebo on a Ubuntu Lucid system
that also has a standalone install of Gazebo that will need to coexist
with ROS at least for the time being.  I get the following error in the
linking phase(it builds fine up until this point):

       physics/ode/libgazebo_physics_ode.so: undefined reference to
`dJointSetDamping'

I have run a full update to my existing cturtle install, doing a clean
build of both Gazebo and ODE, along with temporarily renaming the
libgazebo_physics_ode.so from the system gazebo.  I finally gave in and
did a second clean cturtle install on this system, since I recently
downloaded cturtle on my laptop and it installed/runs just fine, but
even that didn't work.

Has anyone else seen anything like this, I know there was a similar
thread about an ogre issue?  I though the problem might be the system
gazebo install, but the correct(ROS) install is before in
LD_LIBRARY_PATH(and not even in ROS_PKG_PATH) and renaming the offending
libraries from the system install didn't help.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

-Kim

[rosmake-3] Starting >>> gazebo [ make ]
[ rosmake ] Last 40 lineszebo: 18.9 sec
]                                                                    [ 1
Active 35/36 Complete ]
{-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   make[4]: Entering directory
`$(ROS_PATH)/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/build'
   make[4]: Leaving directory
`$(ROS_PATH)/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/build'
   [ 64%] [ 64%] [ 64%] Built target pioneer_circle_benchmark
   Built target pioneer_spiral_benchmark
   Built target spinningbox_benchmark
   [ 65%] Built target table_benchmark
   make[4]: Entering directory
`$(ROS_PATH)/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/build'
   make[4]: Leaving directory
`$(ROS_PATH)/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/build'
   make[4]: Entering directory
`$(ROS_PATH)/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/build'
   make[4]: Leaving directory
`$(ROS_PATH)/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/build'
   [ 99%] Built target gazebo_server
   make[4]: Entering directory
`$(ROS_PATH)/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/build'
   make[4]: Leaving directory
`$(ROS_PATH)/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/build'
   make[4]: Entering directory
`$(ROS_PATH)/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/build'
   Linking CXX executable gazebo
   physics/ode/libgazebo_physics_ode.so: undefined reference to
`dJointSetDamping'
   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
   make[4]: Leaving directory
`$(ROS_PATH)/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/build'
   make[4]: *** [server/gazebo] Error 1
   make[3]: *** [server/CMakeFiles/gazebo-exec.dir/all] Error 2
   make[3]: Leaving directory
`$(ROS_PATH)/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/build'
   make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
   make[2]: Leaving directory
`$(ROS_PATH)/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/build'
   make[1]: Leaving directory `$(ROS_PATH)/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo'
   make[1]: *** [installed] Error 2
   CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:16 (message):
     Build of Gazebo failed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------}
[ rosmake ] Output from build of package gazebo written to:
[ rosmake ]
~/.ros/rosmake/rosmake_output-20100727-115902/gazebo/build_output.log
[rosmake-3] Finished <<< gazebo [FAIL] [ 18.98 seconds ]
[ rosmake ] Halting due to failure in package gazebo.
[ rosmake ] Waiting for other threads to complete.
[ rosmake ] All builds and tests did not pass cannot mark packages as
installed.
[ rosmake ] Results:
[ rosmake ] Built 36 packages with 1 failures.
[ rosmake ] Summary output to directory
[ rosmake ] ~/.ros/rosmake/rosmake_output-20100727-115902
[ rosmake ] WARNING: Rosdep did not detect the following system
dependencies as installed: Did not detect packages: ['python-paramiko']
  Consider using --rosdep-install option or `rosdep install gazebo`