[ros-users] cturtle action_server debug statements

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 14:30:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Armin Hornung
<HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> With the fix, the logging level of the nodes can be set  through the launch
> file and then stays fixed, correct? I had assumed that I should be able to
> change the log level with rxloggerlevel, but that's apparently not the case:
> https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/2927
>
> Of course, if all the log level setup is done through log4cxx then that
> functionality is missing in python.
> To avoid confusion, would it be possible to display python nodes in
> rxloggerlevel nevertheless, with their current fixed log level and a hint
> that it can not be changed in python nodes? It might be useful having this
> hint in the wiki as well (which I could have missed).
>
> For the future, having changeable logger levels in python nodes would be
> nice to have ;)

I agree.

I recently stumbled over this incompatibility while trying to debug
some code a student had translated from C++ into Python. I was about
to open a similar ticket before I saw these messages. I wasted time
trying to figure out why the node never appeared in rxloggerlevel yet
did appear in rosnode list.

I understand that the log4cxx infrastructure is missing from the rospy
logger, and that makes it impractical to fix in C-turtle. But, it
would be good to have similar support for Python nodes eventually
(assuming there is some reasonable way to implement it).

Perhaps this ticket should be converted to an enhancement request
rather than closed as "invalid".
--
 joq