[ros-users] Sick requires more initialisation time in 'sicktoolbox_wrapper'

Renato Samperio mintaka_alnitak at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 2 14:49:30 UTC 2010

Hi,

My SICK LMS 200, requires around 25 seconds for being initialised. Currently the sicklms node that can be found in sicktoolbox_wrapper (and by following the tutorials) generates an error as there is not enough time for showing a green led on.

I have been looking around the Sick LIDAR Matlab/C++ Toolbox, and I am not sure whether it is a good idea to modify the option DEFAULT_SICK_LMS_SICK_MESSAGE_TIMEOUT for increasing the waiting time from all sensor messages.

Moreover, I updated the file: `rospack find sicktoolbox_wrapper`/ros/sicklms/sicklms.cpp for waiting 20 seconds and call again sensor initalisation with something like this:

    try{
         sick_lms.Initialize(desired_baud);    //desired_baud=38400
    }
    catch (...)
    {
        int time_wait=20;
        if(!sick_lms.IsInitialized()){
          sleep(time_wait);
          sick_lms.Initialize(desired_baud);   //desired_baud=38400
        }

After doind this the node works. However, does anyone has a better idea of how to correct such issue?

Kind regards,

Renato.