[ros-users] Problem compiling C++ file locations

ibwood ianbenjiman at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 14:16:19 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm working on some C++ code and I have all of the files required to execute
the project. The purpose of the code is to pass serial commands to a
joystick to operate it. Now I know the code won't properly work without a
joystick (I don't have one yet), I'm just trying to get the code compiled
correctly using "g++ talker.cpp -o talker.exe" in the command line. NOTE: I
have all of the header files located in the same package as the cpp code. My
question is what is going wrong at compile time?

Here is the resulting output:

$ g++ joyTalker.cpp -o joyTalker.exe
In file included from ros.h:40,
                 from joyTalker.cpp:17:
console.h:269:41: error: rosconsole/macros_generated.h: No such file or
directory
In file included from node_handle.h:40,
                 from ros.h:45,
                 from joyTalker.cpp:17:
advertise_options.h:31:26: error: ros/forwards.h: No such file or directory
In file included from node_handle.h:41,
                 from ros.h:45,
                 from joyTalker.cpp:17:
advertise_service_options.h:32:40: error: ros/service_message_helper.h: No
such file or directory
In file included from publisher.h:32,
                 from node_handle.h:32,
                 from ros.h:45,
                 from joyTalker.cpp:17:
message.h: In static member function ‘static std::string
ros::Message::__s_getDataType()’:
message.h:63: error: ‘ROS_FATAL’ was not declared in this scope
message.h: In static member function ‘static std::string
ros::Message::__s_getMD5Sum()’:
message.h:64: error: ‘ROS_FATAL’ was not declared in this scope
message.h: In static member function ‘static std::string
ros::Message::__s_getMessageDefinition()’:
message.h:65: error: ‘ROS_FATAL’ was not declared in this scope
In file included from node_handle.h:35,
                 from ros.h:45,
                 from joyTalker.cpp:17:
service_client.h: In member function ‘bool ros::ServiceClient::call(MReq&,
MRes&)’:
service_client.h:66: error: there are no arguments to ‘ROS_FATAL’ that
depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of ‘ROS_FATAL’ must be
available
service_client.h:66: note: (if you use ‘-fpermissive’, G++ will accept your
code, but allowing the use of an undeclared name is deprecated)
service_client.h:67: error: there are no arguments to ‘ROS_FATAL’ that
depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of ‘ROS_FATAL’ must be
available
In file included from node_handle.h:41,
                 from ros.h:45,
                 from joyTalker.cpp:17:
advertise_service_options.h: In member function ‘void
ros::AdvertiseServiceOptions::init(const std::string&, const
boost::function<bool(MReq&, MRes&)>&)’:
advertise_service_options.h:76: error: there are no arguments to ‘ROS_FATAL’
that depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of ‘ROS_FATAL’ must be
available
advertise_service_options.h:77: error: there are no arguments to ‘ROS_FATAL’
that depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of ‘ROS_FATAL’ must be
available

Thanks for the help!