[ros-users] Hokuyo URG-04LX on serial

Armin Hornung HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Jun 10 15:37:27 UTC 2010

Hi!

Does anyone have some experience with a Hokuyo URG-04LX connected to its
serial port, and not USB? Our Hokuyo is connected via serial to a FTDI
on an embedded (Geode) board, and I cannot get the hokuyo_node in ROS
running with it. Should it work with a serial-connected URG? A simple
call to "./getFirmwareVersion /dev/ttyUSB0" in hokuyo_node/bin (or
anything else accessing the laser in ROS) results in:

[ WARN] 1276190616.641972000: getFirmwareVersion failed: timeout reached
(in hokuyo::laser::laserReadline) You may find further details at
http://www.ros.org/wiki/hokuyo_node/Troubleshooting

I assume that this happens right on initialization in
hokuyo::Laser::open() when laserFlush is called (which sends the first
command to the device). Right above there is a comment "Settings for
USB?". Are there specific settings for the serial port missing? I
couldn't find anything setting a baudrate, for example.

When I connect the Hokuyo to a PC with USB, all works fine. Firmware
version is 3.3 and the device is initially in SCIP1.1, but switches
successfully to SCIP2.0.

Cheers,
Armin

--
Armin Hornung                              Albert-Ludwigs-Universität
www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~hornunga   Dept. of Computer Science