[ros-users] URDF - Using meshes

Kirila Adamova kirila.adamova at dfki.de
Fri Jun 11 09:25:40 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I want to use meshes instead of simple forms for the 3D model in URDF.
However, I don't know how to specify the location of the stl file I am
using. Currently, I am using this:
<geometry>
                <mesh filename="STL/tempfile.STL"/>
</geometry>

where STL is the name of the folder, where the files are stored. I get
the following error:

[ERROR] 2.072000000: Error retrieving file [STL/tempfile.STL]: Couldn't
resolve host 'STL'
[ERROR] 2.072000000: Could not load model 'STL/tempfile.STL' for link
'body': OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource
STL/.STL in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in
ResourceGroupManager::openResource at OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line
753)tempfile

Does anybody know what is the correct way of calling the file?

Thank you,
Kirila Adamova