[ros-users] ros tutorial notes

Floris van Breugel florisvb at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 21:47:55 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I've just started going through the ROS tutorials, and ran into a few
roadblocks... which I've been able to get around, but I thought I'd share
what I had to do to get things to work so that the tutorials could be
updated so others don't have to get lost like me. Admittedly, I'm pretty new
to ubuntu, python, etc. so maybe some of these things were errors on my
part, or things that would be obvious to more experienced users.

I'm running Lucid, and followed the instructions online for the SVN install.
Doing so for the tutorials put the folder 'ros-tutorials' in my home
directory. That caused a variety of problems.. there's probably many ways to
fix it, but this ended up working for me:

move 'ros-tutorials' to ~/ros (or wherever your main ros folder is).

edit ~/ros/setup.sh:
edit this line:     export ROS_PACKAGE_PATH=INSTALL_PATH/ros/stacks
so that it reads: export ROS_PACKAGE_PATH=INSTALL_PATH/ros

Cheers,

- Floris

--
Floris van Breugel
Caltech Graduate Student

Wildlife and Landscape Photographer
Galleries: http://www.ArtInNaturePhotography.com/
Blog: http://www.ArtInNaturePhotography.com/wordpress/
2010 CALENDARS! Now available on my website!