[ros-users] 32 bit compile on 64-bit machine

Jeff Hyams jeff.hyams at resquared.com
Mon Jun 14 13:24:56 UTC 2010

I am trying to get ROS to compile with 32 bit (-m32) libraries on an 64 bit
kernel.  I am wondering two things
about the build:

1.  Is there a way in one of my nodes to "inject" the -m32 compile option to
all dependent packages when building my package? Or will
     I need to edit each individual package's CMake files to get the -m32
option in there?

2.  I think the answer to the following is that it I'd have to do it myself,
but I'll ask anyways:
       I need to still compile 64 bit ROS packages as well as my single 32
bit package.  Is there a method in the build system already to allow
       both 32 bit and 64-bit compiled libraries to exist in a single ROS
home?

2a.  If the answer to the above is no(which I suspect it is after cursory
examination), would the easiest option be to add a
       separate ROS install, get it to compile all the libraries as 32
bit(with whatever the answer to #1 would be), then use
       that install to compile my package?  I don't have a ton of time to
modify the build structure to allow both libraries to
       exist at the moment, so I'm looking for a quick and easy solution.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Hyams
RE2 Inc.