[ros-users] camera calibration tutorial questions

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 16:19:56 UTC 2010

I am working on a set of tutorials for the camera1394 driver. One
needs to explain how to set it up correctly for camera_calibration,
and I'd like to leverage the excellent tutorials already written for
that package:

  http://www.ros.org/wiki/camera_calibration/Tutorials

In most of my examples, I simplify the discussion by running a single
camera1394_node, which publishes the standard default image_pipeline
topics:

 camera/image_raw
 camera/camera_info

At least for monocular calibration, I think it might be clearer for
the main calibration tutorial to use these same topics as an example,
instead of:

 /my_camera/camera_info
 /my_camera/image

At the very least, I think it should use "image_raw" and not "image".

I don't mind making these small changes to the camera_calibration
tutorial, but do not want to trespass on others' territory. Maybe
there is a reason for using non-standard topics as examples. Maybe I
should be using them, too?

I am less clear about the stereo calibration tutorial, not having done
that yet. For camera1394, which is a purely monocular driver, the user
needs to start two driver nodes, perhaps in different namespaces or
else using remap for the output topics and service names. (I have
found different namespaces more convenient so far in my own testing.)
I suppose there are probably problems with coordinating Image time
stamps with two nodes. Maybe that won't work in this release.

Any guidance as to how I should proceed?
--
 joq