[ros-users] Meta-data for bag files

Ivan Dryanovski ivan.dryanovski at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 00:46:17 UTC 2010

Hi,

We've been running into a somewhat logistical problem of having too
many bag files, and no good way to organize them. Has anyone given
thought to the idea of adding meta-data to the .bag files? It would be
useful if we can attach a description and keywords so we can quickly
find relevant bags. For example, you would keep all your bags in a
specific directory, and have a ros tool that is able to search through
them based on keywords, topics, or message types.

Since adding explicit meta-data to the bag format might cause
compatibility problems with current bag tools, perhaps a round-about
solution would be to attach a "metadata" topic to each bag.

Ivan Dryanovski