[ros-users] questions re gazebo tutorial

Michael Styer michael at styer.net
Wed Jun 23 20:36:54 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm working through the Gazebo tutorials (specifically:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/simulator_gazebo/Tutorials/Gazebo_ROS_API) and
have a couple of questions.

First, the tutorial says that running these two commands:

  roscore
  rosrun gazebo gazebo `rospack find gazebo_worlds`/worlds/empty.world

is equivalent to running this command:

  roslaunch gazebo_worlds empty_world.launch

But when I run the first two, after the second I get this error:

[/opt/ros/latest/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/server/GazeboConfig.cc:124]
  Unable to find the file ~/.gazeborc. Using default paths. This may
cause OGRE to fail.
Error Loading Gazebo
/opt/ros/latest/stacks/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo-svn/server/rendering/OgreAdaptor.cc:445 : Exception: unable to find rendering system

whereas when I run roslaunch, everything seems to work. The
empty_worlds.launch file sets up a number of paths, and the error
message says it can't find ~/.gazeborc, so does the rosrun version
depend on having those paths set up in .gazeborc?

Second, having got Gazebo running using roslaunch, the tutorial says I
should have a long list of services running. When I run 'rosservice
list', however, I get just these:

/delete_model
/gazebo_1277325143809689885/get_loggers
/gazebo_1277325143809689885/set_logger_level
/rosout/get_loggers
/rosout/set_logger_level
/spawn_model

Likewise for rostopic; this is my output:

/clock
/rosout
/rosout_agg

Should I definitely expect to see the services and topics listed in the
tutorial? If so, is there something I haven't configured correctly?

Thanks!

(FYI, I'm running an installation of ros-latest that was set up for me
by someone else here in the lab.)

Mike