[ros-users] writing drivers for hardware

John Browning john_jsb at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 24 19:43:06 UTC 2010

First off i just want to say i'm not a "good" programmer i'm more of a
hardware man PIC etc.
I do a little work with the local college building robots for them and i've
worked on darpa UGC.
I currently have about 50k in parts for my own robot so i'm very serious
about making ROS work.
We have been using dare i say Visual Basic 6 for all our robots for 10 years
and i just can't stand it any more.
We have so much legacy code and it does work pretty good, so its like
pulling teeth to get everyone to switch to anything else. There starting
down the path of using Visual Studio and converting all our code, so far it
sucks hard. I would like to do a video tutorial from beginning to end
showing how to write a driver for ROS from the point of view of knowing
nothing about ros. Hopefully that would inspire some people to join the
cause. Having said all that i would like to start with 2 compasses that we
are using.

OS5000-US 3 Axis Digital Compass (Serial or USB)
http://www.oceanserver-store.com/os3axdico3.html

Maretron SSC200 Compass
http://www.maretron.com/products/ssc200.php

Both of these use standard nmea 0183 messages so i thought these would be a
good start.

So here i am starting at ground zero needing guidance and constructive
criticism. If there is anybody willing to help please email me at
john_jsb at hotmail.com or here on this board.

Here is the idea use one embedded mini itx computer for the serial port and
compass. Then the main computer will run turtle and turn to the heading the
compass is at. Now surely somebody has got most of this done i'm finding

/home/rosbuild/hudson/workspace/rosdoc/ros-pkg/imu_drivers/microstrain_3dmgx2_imu/imu_node.cc

is this the closest thing out there?