[ros-users] Compiling OpenCV with IPP and TBB

Polly Powledge pollyp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 21:51:59 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm new to ROS and I'm trying to compile OpenCV with IPP and TBB
support. I've read the (very helpful) install guide at
http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/InstallGuide and have a couple of
questions.

1) I've enabled IPP support, but don't see much of a performance
payoff. If I do a nm on the OpenCV .so's, I can see IPP symbols (e.g.
ippEnableCpu), so the linker's finding the IPP library. When I run my
ROS code I can use lsof to see that the correct with-IPP OpenCV
libraries are being loaded.  Is there anything else I should check? Or
is it just that my application isn't using the OpenCV functions that
benefit from IPP?

I'm running a 32-bit Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) system with two Xeon chips.
I have version 6.1 of the IPP libs installed.

2) I'd like to use TBB as well. Per the Wiki, I've installed libtbb2
and libtbb-dev from a Lucid repo to get version 2.2 installed  to the
standard locations, but when I use cmake-gui and hit configure, I
don't see an option to USE TBB. Is there something else I have to do?
Possible hint: I'm running the plain vanilla 2.6.31-21-generic kernel,
but in the TBB directories I see code that seems to be tied to the
2.6.16.21 kernel. Has anyone got OpenCV running with TBB on Karmic
with the Lucid versions of TBB? Or am I just swimming upstream on this
one?

Thanks in advance,

Polly