[ros-users] rosmake --dist?

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Tue Jun 1 03:20:54 UTC 2010

Bill,
Yes all those should be hidden inside the build directory.  Due to the many
different languages and styles we don't have a standard target for what
you're asking for.

In terms of invoking it I would suggest just using make directly.  aka
"roscd my_pkg && make dist-clean"  To reiterate above the root Makefile
should always just be the call through to cmake.mk as Lorenz pointed out and
all the build artifacts will be hidden in the build directory.

Daniel,
For your two requests:

 1) we're working toward that goal, however guaranteeing that all the core
ROS runtime dependencies are built and ready is what that step is doing.
Using installed versions of ROS makes that step very quick due to the
ROS_NOBUILD as you suggested.

 2) Quick answer, use a "--robust" option and it will continue.  Long
answer, the --target argument is available but can't be easily generalized,
for the missing/error responses you want for different build steps are
potentially quite different.  And the higherarchical nature of a rosmake no
longer makes sense when doing custom targets unless the whole ecosystem
knows about the custom target, in which case it's no longer a custom
target.  I would suggest possibly using something like "rosmake -s
target_pkg --target=custom_target" which is equivilant to doing "roscd
target_pkg && make custom_target"  And rosmake will take a list of packages
if you have more than one, or a stack if a whole stack has a target
defined.

Tully

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Bill Morris <morris at ee.ccny.cuny.edu>wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 16:37 -0700, Lorenz Mösenlechner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > calling 'cmake CMakeLists.txt' in your package directory should
> > overwrite your existing Makefile with a cmake generated one. I'm not
> > sure if this is what you want to do and calling cmake outside a
> > dedicated build directory is not the right way to use cmake anyway.
>
> Was there a bug at some point where
> CMakeCache.txt
> cmake_install.cmake
> CMakeFiles/
> were built outside of build/ and the primary Makefile was overwritten?
> It would explain things if that was not a feature and was in fact a bug.

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer
Willow Garage, Inc.
tfoote at willowgarage.com