[ros-users] rosmake --dist?

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 07:42:31 UTC 2010

On 1 June 2010 12:20, Tully Foote <tfoote at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> Bill,
> Yes all those should be hidden inside the build directory.  Due to the many
> different languages and styles we don't have a standard target for what
> you're asking for.
>
> In terms of invoking it I would suggest just using make directly.  aka
> "roscd my_pkg && make dist-clean"  To reiterate above the root Makefile
> should always just be the call through to cmake.mk as Lorenz pointed out and
> all the build artifacts will be hidden in the build directory.
>
> Daniel,
> For your two requests:
>
>  1) we're working toward that goal, however guaranteeing that all the core
> ROS runtime dependencies are built and ready is what that step is doing.
> Using installed versions of ROS makes that step very quick due to the
> ROS_NOBUILD as you suggested.
>
>  2) Quick answer, use a "--robust" option and it will continue.  Long
> answer, the --target argument is available but can't be easily generalized,
> for the missing/error responses you want for different build steps are
> potentially quite different.  And the higherarchical nature of a rosmake no
> longer makes sense when doing custom targets unless the whole ecosystem
> knows about the custom target, in which case it's no longer a custom
> target.  I would suggest possibly using something like "rosmake -s
> target_pkg --target=custom_target" which is equivilant to doing "roscd
> target_pkg && make custom_target"  And rosmake will take a list of packages
> if you have more than one, or a stack if a whole stack has a target
> defined.

Actually, I think its ok as it is. I have a script which protects the
ros core stack (or other stacks) rather conveniently - I'm not sure
ros needs to provide anything beyond the ROS_NOBUILD feature in that
regard. Using -s doesn't really work though, ok if its only a program
or two, or a complete stack, but once the dependencies get
compilcated, its nice to let rosmake do that for us.

> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Bill Morris <morris at ee.ccny.cuny.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 16:37 -0700, Lorenz Mösenlechner wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > calling 'cmake CMakeLists.txt' in your package directory should
>> > overwrite your existing Makefile with a cmake generated one. I'm not
>> > sure if this is what you want to do and calling cmake outside a
>> > dedicated build directory is not the right way to use cmake anyway.
>>
>> Was there a bug at some point where
>> CMakeCache.txt
>> cmake_install.cmake
>> CMakeFiles/
>> were built outside of build/ and the primary Makefile was overwritten?
>> It would explain things if that was not a feature and was in fact a bug.

> Tully Foote
> Systems Engineer
> Willow Garage, Inc.
> tfoote at willowgarage.com
> (650) 475-2827

Phone : +82-10-5400-3296 (010-5400-3296)
Home: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/
Yujin Robot: http://www.yujinrobot.com/
Embedded Control Libraries: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/redmine/wiki/ecl