[ros-users] Stage Vs. Rviz

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 15:47:17 UTC 2010

Prasad,

1/3. Stage is a simulator, Rviz is a data visualization tool. Unless
you have a real robot broadcasting data, logged bag files or are using
the Gazebo simulator, you cannot get rid of Stage. Rviz doesn't do any
simulation, so running Rviz without Stage or another data source won't
actually show you any data. You can disable the Stage GUI using the -g
flag and just have Rviz's graphical display with the Stage node still
running to do simulation.

2. See http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation/Tutorials/Using%20rviz%20with%20the%20Navigation%20Stack
for information on using Rviz with the full navigation stack.

- Eric