[ros-users] Sick requires more initialisation time in 'sicktoolbox_wrapper'

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 15:06:53 UTC 2010

Renato,

Are you starting up the Sicktoolbox Wrapper before the LIDAR has
booted and shown a green LED? If so, is there a reason that the node
is booting so quickly and beating the LIDAR.

Whenever I startup my sicklms node, the LIDAR has had time to
initialize and has the green LED lit. Usually that is the case, as it
takes longer for the ROS PC to boot than for my LMS291 to initialize
when I power on the entire system. As long as I start it with the
green LED lit, I don't really get errors initializing.

Another option might be to put the sicklms node in a launch file and
it to respawn the node whenever it dies; eventually it should startup
with the LIDAR ready to go.

- Eric