[ros-users] navigation stack bare minimums

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 02:27:29 UTC 2010

Mike,

You can also set all costmaps to rolling windows with their global
frame as /odom. As long as you actually publish a tf between that and
base_link (or whatever you want to call your equivalent frames), you
should be able to run completely without a map server. I can
definitely say that it is possible to run navigation without a static
map - I am currently doing just that and have had no issues related to
lack of map server.

As far as required transforms goes, you really ought to be publishing
transforms for the different frames. You could use the
static_transform_publisher node to publish a static transform, but the
transform from base_link to odom is not static, so you will need to
broadcast that transform yourself.Another option is to use one of the
existing simulators (stage and gazebo) that hook into ROS, which
broadcast all the transforms you should need.

Hope that helps.

- Eric