[ros-users] CSV with time from bag files

Cedric Pradalier cedric.pradalier at mavt.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 9 14:54:40 UTC 2010

On 06/09/2010 04:31 PM, Jeremy Leibs wrote:
> Agreed.  I was also surprised to find it didn't print bag time.  I
> created ticket: https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/2780 to track
> this issue.

I actually implemented a playback functionality for another middleware
some time ago, and I had put that as an option.
In some context, one would want to have the time at which the data was
recorded (for plotting for instance).
On the other hand, if you test some software, then it's better to put
the writing time, to have a feeling of real-time.

Then I also had an option for time scaling (fast-forward or
slow-motion). Then again, the choice of old time-stamp, write time-stamp
becomes tricky, especially if you introduce a pause mechanism in the
playback.

Even without the special features above, I think both type of timestamp
are sometimes useful, and only a command-line option can select between
them.

HTH

> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:14 AM, Miguel Prada<miguel.register at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeremy,
>>
>> Thanks for the tip. That's exactly what I've been doing after writing to the list and it works great.
>>
>> However, shouldn't rostopic output the bagfile's timestamps when echoing from a bagfile? I find it much more reasonable than having to programatically read the data using python to achieve this result. Am I missing some important reason for rostopic echo to behave this way?
>>
>> Miguel.
>>
>> El 09/06/2010, a las 10:33, Jeremy Leibs escribió:
>>

>>> Assuming you are still using boxturtle, rosrecord has a rosrecord.py
>>> programmatic API
>>>
>>> Take a look at:
>>>
>>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosrecord#rosrecord.py
>>>
>>> It should be fairly straight forward to write a small program which
>>> opens the bag and prints exactly what you want.

Dr. Cedric Pradalier
http://www.asl.ethz.ch/people/cedricp